Monday, January 31, 2011

PUMPING THE BRAKES


Another thing requiring attention was the axles. I hadn’t driven the 110 for about a week so it was noticeable that the brakes required a slight pump to get full pressure. It has taken awhile, but I’ve finally got it into my thick skull that this, on a disc braked vehicle mean that the wheel bearings require adjustment.
The last time I had to pump the brake was on the Discovery when the wheel bearing collapsed big time the lock nuts disintegrated, so the only thing holding the wheel on was the brake caliper. This time, we were at garage and plenty of time. We’ve replaced the rear bearing about 15,000 miles ago, so I checked the front wheel first, which were fine.
The rear ones both required adjustment, taking up a bit of slack. The workshop manuals for older models, like our Series III A, show the procedure for adjusting the bearings, but this is omitted from the 110’s manual. Maybe the bearings should be fit and forget I’ll watch them and replace if necessary as long as they don’t suddenly fail. 

No comments:

Post a Comment