Sunday, January 30, 2011

TAPPET DANCING


For some reason I was flicking through the 110’s service record the other day. It’s bit of rear event as I do all the servicing myself, so don’t generally look at it. The last time it had visiting a mechanic was at 67,000 miles when I head gasket replaced. Now at 99,000 miles, I’ve gone 32,000 miles without adjustment the tappets.
Well you’ll be glad to know that I bothered to do something about it and dug out the workshop manual and tool kit. Unless you have an intricate mirror set up, adjusting tappets is really a two person job. One person need to be watching the rockets nodding while the other turns over the engine.
It’s essential to make sure the ignition is off when you are hand turning the engine. Also you should really remove the battery earth and disconnect the fuel feed to the injectors, just in case the engine fires when you are turning it over. 

No comments:

Post a Comment