Sunday, January 30, 2011

TAPPET ADJUST

I manned the crankshaft pulley while my friend calls when the appropriate rocket was down. I used the rule of nine procedures when number 1 is down, number 8 is closed and can be checked and adjusted. When 2 is down 7 is checked and adjust and so on. We aimed to start with number 8 valves, but that was on the way up, so it would have to be number 6.

Or at least we would have, if we had been paying attention. To be fair, the last time we had helped me check valve clearances was 12 years ago on the Lightweight, so we can forgive he for forgetting the drill. So we started with number 6, then number 4. We missed 7 and worked our way through 1, 3, 5 and 2. Working out when the valve was fully open was hit and miss. When my friend said the rockers had stopped moving, I ran the feeler gauge through the one needing adjustment there was plenty of slack on each one, meaning it was at the right point.   

No comments:

Post a Comment