Monday, January 17, 2011

DEFENDER 110 CSW

The defender has generally been behaving itself recently, but one night I arrived home Elaine complained that show could smell fuel when she had parked up. Giving the engine a quick run, an ever increasing pool of liquid appeared under the engine and, working my way round the engine, the source of the leak was soon apparent.
Most of the engine was filthy but the area around and under the number four injector was sparklingly clean. I reckoned it was a leaking banjo union, so tried quick tweak with a spanner. That didn’t stem the flow, so I headed off into the wilds to get some new sealing washer.
We disagreed, and reckoned it was more likely to be the injector link pipe. So I pick up the length of new pipe and, sure enough, the problem was solved. Evidently, when I had adjusted the valve clearance some time ago I hadn’t refitted the top cover properly and the engine’s vibration had caused it to gradually wear through the pipe. I’ve now refitted the cover correctly and I’m going to make sure I carry some spare hose, just in case.  

No comments:

Post a Comment